Delki Dozzi Park, 3 Mary Street, Sudbury.
Type of garden
Benevolent. The mission of the Delki Dozzi Community Garden is the engage residents of all ages and abilities in learning about productive and innovative gardening practices. Our garden produces food for neighbourhood families in need, and for the benefit of our volunteers without whom the garden would not continue to exist. Excess food is donated to the Best Start Hub.
- Fourteen 4x8 ft raised beds, two that are high enough for access from a wheel chair.
- Seven concrete planters of various sizes and height dedicated mainly to herbs and cucurbits
- One in- ground bed that is circular, with a diameter of 10 metres, divided into pie-shaped wedges and presently growing sunflowers, beans and barley.
- An orchard with 9 apples, 3 pears, 6 serviceberry. A food forest is planned by Sudbury Shared harvest in conjunction with the orchard.
- A wild flower area that includes milkweed to encourage pollinating insects and Monarch butterflies.
The entire garden production is planned, planted and maintained by volunteers with the strong and vital participation of the West End Best Start Hub
Gardening is entirely organic and mostly predicated on the Square Foot Gardening technique that employs 15 cm of “Mel’s Mix” composed of 1/3 Coarse Vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 compost that includes Meeker’s Mix and compost produced at the garden. The 15 cm layer sits on top of untreated soil that fills most of the beds.
The in-ground circular bed receives only Meerker’s Mix.
Cost to participate
Produce and Plants
A wide range vegetables are grown, most of which are open pollinated and heritage varieties.
The garden is situated in Delki Dozzi Park, of the City of Greater Sudbury.
Water: Watering is achieved by gravity-fed passive irrigation using the rain water that falls on a 200 square metre catchment at ground level. Water is collected in a 10,000 litre tank situated below ground.
Storage: A learning shed comprises a locked shed in which supplies and equipment are stored and a trellised section that will include a potting bench and that can be made weather proof, when necessary with tarpaulins stretched over the top of the trellis.
Equipment: Includes: power lawn mower, 3 wheel barrows, seeder/fertilizer, rakes, shovels, forks, 100 ft hose for watering.
Composting: three 1 cubic metre wooden compost bins
Seating: The grounds include large slabs of limestone that serve as benches.
Each year more than 50 volunteers participate in the planning, planting and maintenance of the garden.
Name: Colleen Zilio
Phone: (705) 677-7701
Facebook: Delki Dozzi Community Garden
Community Garden Sign
Our Sponsors and Friends of the Garden
The garden is supported both financially and in-kind contributions from the following:
- Home Depot/Evergreen
- TD Friends of the Environment Fund
- Union Gas
- The City of Greater Sudbury
- Vale Canada Ltd
- SMS/Coopers Rentals
- CentreLine Design
- Talos Steel
- Rastall Nut and Bolt Co.
- JN Construction
- Fisher Wavy INC
- Hickey and Svalina Management Group
- Brown’s Concrete
- Rainbow Concrete
- Simplified IT
- Joe Cimino
- Ward 1 Community Action Network